Reclaim our Jobs
We demand security and prosperity for all port workers. Green jobs must be the foundations to our new economy. Companies that have profited from environmental destruction must bear the financial burden of retraining employees and creating new, sustainable job opportunities. This is the path to a just transition, ensuring protection and new prospects for workers in the green sector.
Our demands: Green Jobs
- We demand a green job guarantee for all employees in the port.
- Polluting companies must pay to ensure financial security for port workers during the transition to the green economy.
BEHIND SMOKE SCREEN: The harbour is not ready for the new economy
- Concrete and significant investments in sustainability are lacking. The port sticks to uncertain plans and a familiar strategy: growth. There is no scientific evidence that this growth can remain within planetary boundaries. Investments in the sustainable development of the Port of Rotterdam are not transparently evaluated against the impact on planetary boundaries (or other conditions concerning climate goals) nor are there governing-rules to reject investments if these boundaries or conditions are not respected.
- The port’s climate policy is aimed at remaining competitive, attracting multinational companies, and providing higher dividends to the state and municipality, prioritizing economic arguments over the societal duty to protect the health of citizens, both now and in the future.
- The International Energy Agency anticipates a surge of 30 million jobs in the energy sector due to the transition towards sustainable energy. However, HBR’s wavering commitment to sustainability demonstrates neither the vision nor the initiative necessary to seize these opportunities, leaving the port workers in a precarious position.
1. Reclaim Our Future
Time is not on our side. We demand the end of the Fossil Port by 2030. The Netherlands must awaken to the climate crisis and strive for climate neutrality within this decade to keep global warming within the 1.5-degree Celsius limit. This future is incompatible with the continuation of fossil port activities. The Port must chart a new course towards transparency, ceasing all fossil activities, and focusing on real solutions that reduce CO2 emissions.
2. Reclaim Our Jobs
We demand security and prosperity for all port workers. Green jobs must be the bedrock of our new economy. Companies that have profited from environmental destruction must bear the financial burden of retraining employees and creating new, sustainable job opportunities. This is the path to a just transition, ensuring protection and new prospects for workers in the green sector.
3. Reclaim Our Air
The air we breathe bears the toxic scars of port activities, affecting the health of every Rotterdam resident. We demand accountability, transparency, and restitution from those responsible. We demand solid measures to monitor toxic emissions, research into health risks, and compensation for the people of Rotterdam to rectify health damages and invest in local green infrastructure.
4. Reclaim Our Voice
The shareholders of the Port Authority must honor their societal duty to protect citizens’ health and combat climate change. The Port must abandon its unattainable green growth strategy, adjust its statutes to consider public interests, democratize decision-making processes and let citizen decide for their future. We reclaim the Port for the People of Rotterdam.